Description of job and tasks involved
- Informing, advising and coaching scientists from the 7 departments within the Erasmus MC Theme Sophia on grant opportunities, specifically on funding mechanisms by the European Commission including Horizon 2020.
- Coordination of Horizon 2020 grant applications led by Erasmus MC scientists from Thema Sophia
- Support for (Horizon 2020) grant applications with Erasmus MC scientists from Thema Sophia participating as partner
- Responsible for project management of research projects coordinated by scientists from the Erasmus MC Theme Sophia, including supervision of project manager
- Responsible for Research Office Sophia intranet.
Experience in European research projects
- FP6 and FP7 Health collaborative projects and Marie Curie Initial Training Networks
- Innovative Medicine Initiative
- Horizon 2020 Grand Societal Challenge 1 (applications)
Erasmus MC is the largest university hospital in The Netherlands and is committed to a healthy population and excellence in healthcare through research and education. Since a couple of years, the institute is organised in Themes and each Theme has around 7 departments.
Research administration is carried out at a decentral level with respect to administrative and financial issues, and is arranged in various way depending on the Theme and department involved. A coordinating scientist often uses the management budget to hire a project manager or project assistant who supports with the administrative issues including reporting and organisation of consortium meetings. Next to the pure administrative tasks, a project manager also takes care of management of scientific, financial and legal issues. Scientists who are a partner in a project often do their own non-scientific administration or involve a (departmental) secretary. Financial issues are taken care of by the project controller within the Theme together with the scientist, project manager or project assistant. Legal support is provided at a central level via the Technology Transfer Office.
The Theme Sophia representing 7 departments at Erasmus MC has established its own research office (Research Office Sophia) that provides project control as well as funding advice and pre- and post-award project management. This research office takes over the administrative tasks from the scientists during the grant application, negotiation and execution phase.
- Curriculum Vitae
Biomedical Sciences, University of Leiden, The Netherlands 1994-1999: PhD training, University of Leiden, seconded at TNO Prevention and Health, Leiden, The Netherlands 1999-2002: Protein Chemistry Department, Pharming Technologies B.V. (1999 - 2000 Research Associate, 2000 - 2001 Project coordinator, 2001 - 2002 Bio- and Immunochemistry Group Leader) 2002-2013: Scientific project manager, Dept. of Urology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands since 2013: Head Grant Support Office, Research Office Sophia, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands