Description of Job and Tasks Involved
Supporting researchers to access Horizon 2020 funding. Tasks include,
- Quality reviewing grant applications
- Promoting and publicising funding initiatives
- Interpreting technical rules and regulations
- Building strategic networks and collaborations
- Developing external funding strategies
- Exchanging best practice with peers (pre and post contract)
- Project managing strategic grant applications
Experience in European Research Projects
Majority of my career has focused on managing and coordinating European Social Fund projects. Extensive experience of delivering projects, assessing grants as well as establishing and maintaining robust project controls, see professional career summary.
In the 6 months since joining Örebro University (ORU) I have,
Supported ORU to secure 2 * Research and Innovation Actions
- CARESSES (Horizon 2020, contract negotiation stage) the project will develop and demonstrate advanced ICT Robotics based solutions for extending active and healthy ageing in daily life. H2020-SC1-2016-CNECT-EUJ
- ILIAD (Horizon 2020, contract negotiation stage) based on developing a new generation of food intralogistics systems. Call: H2020-ICT-2016-2017Topic: ICT-26-2016-2017
Coordinated the development of a Marie Curie COFUND application - submitted on the 29 September
Coordinating the development of a COST ACTION – proposal to be submitted on 7 December
Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships Action – developing an ORU wide strategy to attract external researchers.
Örebro University is a modern, broad-based university with internationally prominent research. 15,000 students and 1,300 staff study and work here. We offer some 80 degree programmes at the undergraduate and Master’s levels as well as some 600 separate courses. Örebro University cooperates with industry and commerce, local and regional governments and other organisations, both nationally and internationally.
Pre contract support: Grant Office at ORU support researchers to identify, develop and review grant applications (national and international funders)
Grant Office is actively involved in identifying how the post contract functions can be improved, particularly the infrastructure for EU funded projects.
In the future, Grants Office could expand its remit into post contract functions.
Current Post Contract functions: Research Administration is supported by the Finance Department, Legal and External Relations to name but a few.
Research leads on EU projects have also been involved in research administration tasks. As noted above, research administration functions are under review.
- Curriculum Vitae
MSc in Technical Change and Regional Development , Cardiff University
BA (Hons) in Environmental Planning and Management, Bangor University
Eifionnydd Secondary School (Wales, UK), 2 A-levels in History and Geography and 10 GCSE’s including Maths
2001-2004: Senior Grants Assessor, Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA) 2005-2006: Executive Officer, Wales Council for Voluntary Action (WCVA) 2006-2008: European Team Manager, Innovate Trust 2008-2009 Independent Consultant, Welsh Government 2009-2010: Project Officer - Independent Consultant Position, BIG Lottery Fund 2010: Independent Consultant, Wavehill Consultancy since 2016: European Funding Advisor, Örebro University, Sweden